Thursday, October 2, 2014

Beignets and Bargains

*** This post is part of a 31 day series about Learning to Try. ***
 (I've decided to share all my button "tries" that didn't make the final cut)

Day 2: 

Has anyone reading this seen Yes Man with Jim Carrey?  When he starts saying yes and suddenly everything starts happening in snowball fashion?  I feel like that today. I know that I'm sneaking this in at literally the 11th hour, but if I had written at either of the two times earlier today that I could have written, all I would have to share is that I took a kid for a walk, and that I ordered beans...

Buuuuttttt.... then I decided to try to go find some hidden apartments. I found one student housing place and decided 4pm in Austin, TX was a very bad time to randomly drive around. So then I tried to visit a thrift store near where I work that I had been meaning to visit for ages.  Turns out they close at 4! 4?!?! anyway, while I was sitting in my car trying to decide what to do next, and coming very close to going back to my normal coffee shop and sitting there for the next hour, a mom and daughter came along and the mom mentioned that there were several similar shops further down the road we were on. So I decided to try and find them.  First I stopped at an awesome store called Savers. Found several deals that I can't wait to try using in my room. (BTW: I'm trying really hard for a grown up garden butterfly bedroom. :-P wish me luck. I know I'll need it!). More details on Savers finds to come later.  After Savers I stopped by this tiny little place. Inside was nothing but clothes and accessories, which are fun, but not what I was looking for. The lady in the shop guessed I was looking for home items and she was super nice and suggested I go next door (I hadn't realized there were two separate shops) and she also mentioned several other places near by that I could try.  I went next door and it was such a neat place, but I didn't see anything that shouted "take me home!" so I was on my way out when the owner asked me what I was looking for.  I hesitated and said, "well it's kind of random, but I'm looking for a nice popcorn bowl."  She instantly said, well I don't have one here, but I have one with my extra inventory that I could bring. She went on to describe it. Wooden, plastic liner, with popcorn written on the side in calligraphy style letters!  With much fear and trembling I asked the price. $10!!!  Which is honestly more than I was planning on paying, but it sounds like a bargain for what she described, and I was afraid she would say something much more expensive.  And I've very happy to support a local artist.  Since I won't be in that part of town again until Monday and she won't be there then, she promised to leave it with the girl next door for me! :-D  People are awesome!

So then I'm thinking I'm done for the day, but I actually still have 15-30 minutes before I have to be at work and I'm only 2 minutes away, and I realize I'm driving RIGHT past the game store I've been meaning to visit for ages, so I turn in to see what's what.  It was the coolest place!  And I only saw half of it!  I need to go back and see the other half. I got distracted by talking to the couple sitting outside the food trailer that it turns out they own! They hand me a menu and I decide to be brave and try something new.  I admit I did have them leave off the "special sauce" but I let them leave on the "spring greens" which is a big step for me. I hate rabbit food.  Did I mention that this food trailer specializes in beignets? (or however you make that plural?) So the sandwich was inside a beignet! And it was actually good! Oh and the couple? Bulgarian! I mentioned that I'd been to their neighbor Romania and they asked me all about my trip and where I'd been.  I need to go back so I can ask them about their country!



I was walking to my car and they stopped me and told me I needed dessert and handed me an extra little bag that had this deliciousness inside!



It was too yummy to wait to take the picture!

I thought my adventures for the day were done, but at work, the mom had cooked an entire chicken. (I'm a nanny btw ;-D).  My task was to put the left over chicken away.  I never realized how many bones a chicken has?! Because of the way she had cooked it, the chicken was literally falling off the bone in most places, but that made the small ones that much harder to find, and it made the whole process fairly messy, but I succeeded!  

I have tomorrow evening off so I'm excited to TRY and start working on my room some more! :-D

Peace out peeps!

Chelsea

PS: did you try anything new today? I want to hear all about it!

PPS: I've realized I need more adjectives. Everything is either cool or awesome apparently. ;-)

1 comment:

  1. Wow that sounds like such an exciting day! I can't believe all of that happened in one day--I do feel like since I'm doing this challenge more things are popping out to me to try and I'm more willing to actually go for it.

    ReplyDelete