Wednesday, October 8, 2014

I bought spray paint! And I used it!

*** This post is part of a 31 day series about Learning to Try ***

Day 8:

Technically I did buy a can of metallic spray paint over 5 years ago while helping a friend with an emergency room makeover, but I haven't ever repeated the endeavor with anything of my own since then. And my last attempt at spray painting furniture barely earned a C-.   But today that changed.  Today I decided to actually paint something!  Actually TWO somethings!  Allow me to present exhibits A and B...






I was planning on using gold paint, but I wanted satin finish not high gloss, and my local wally world was out of satin gold paint, so I decided to try this pretty color that they call nickel, but I think what I call nickel they must call pewter or something. :-P. I was also originally planning to paint the removable trays in the paper sorter but after I pulled them out I realized painting the frame would be much easier! :-) I did a very super-duper complicated prep process of wiping everything down with a Clorox wipe and used paper and masking tape to cover the parts I didn't want to paint. ;-)






And at this point I had to call it quits because the sky looked like this and I was rapidly losing my light.  I had planned to wait until tomorrow to take off the tape and paper from the table but I got impatient, and my sister and I agreed it definitely needs some distressing done to it so I will post more pictures during round 2, but I'm pretty pleased with how it is looking so far.  I'm also now contemplating getting some silver satin paint for the baskets of the paper sorter, but I feel like I should try it with the grey for a little bit first and see if it grows on me, I'm almost certain that I want it to be two-toned, the only question is what combination. :-)

  
Have you ever spray painted anything?  How did it go?  Anyone have any tips on what to avoid when distressing furniture? I'm basically planning on taking some sand paper and going at the edges...

Hope everyone had a great Wednesday!  And now we are almost to the weekend right?! Yay! :-)

1 comment:

  1. I love spray painting. I'm not an expert by any means though! I've painted candlesticks, lamp shades (not so well), and always find myself spray painting frames. I just spray, and don't do anything else fancy to it. Have fun! (I'm going to email you tonight!)

    ReplyDelete