Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Today I moved a table and I found a new happy place.

This post is part of a 31 day series on learning to try. For links to the rest of the series go here.

Day 7:

Today I decided to try moving outside to read my book.  I love nature, but a strong aversion to heat and being allergic to something in all 4 seasons means I normally stay in doors.  But the weather was perfect and I'd been having allergies regardless of if I was outside or not, so I decided to sit on the back porch.  I got a little side tracked on the way to reading though...



Our awesome neighbor gave us this patio furniture when she moved, but because at the time we already had 2 smaller tables and 4 chairs back there, the only way it really fit is as you see above.  I never loved it down there because it was hard to get around to the chairs on the other side. (I have no idea why all the chairs were pushed to the edge.) (the turtle is because my brother actually has 3 pet turtles and my mom thought that it would be fun to keep the turtles in a giant turtle when my brother has to take them out to clean their tank :-P).  ANYWAY....  We moved one of the small tables and 2 of the chairs to the front porch ages ago, so tonight, on a whim, I decided to MOVE THE TABLE!!!  I figure the worst thing that happens is my mom hates it and moves it back.  So pretty much zero risk. ;-) (Don't judge me please! I'm still on the baby steps phase of trying...)  And voila!


Isn't that a happy place now? So much less crowded feeling!
And some more happy...



The view is one of the things I will miss most when I move out.  Luckily I'm not moving very far away. :-)

Now at this point in the evening I was going to give up reading outside because I had already been attacked by some vicious mutant giant mosquito and there was a small army of gnats flying in my face.  But my dad found a bottle of what he thought was my mom's home made bug spray that she swore by, so I covered my arms and legs in the stuff and headed back out.  I'm so glad I did.  Because at my dad's suggestion I tried our hammock chair for the first time since we moved it outside.  And I have now found one of the happiest places in the world.






Although taking pictures is a challenge in a swing that won't stay still, I have definitely found my new favorite nest! (One of the other 31dayers wrote a great post about building a nest, but now I can't find it! :-(  Soooo IF you are the authoress of the awesome nest post, leave a comment with a link and I'll make sure I add it! :-D )

I stayed out there until the sky got really dark and the mosquitoes started winning.  Final score was Chelsea: 1.  Mosquito: 5.





I knew you would all be heartbroken if I didn't include a photo of a dead mosquito, so here ya go!  Aren't I kind? :-D hee hee.  actually I was just proud of myself for actually killing one!

I'm almost done I promise! One last little bit of excitement for the evening...
At Savers the other day I had found this interesting small metal tub type thing. I didn't know what I would use it for, but I knew I wanted it, so I bought it home and contemplated what its purpose should be.  I've struggled with getting my room to stay clean because I always have things that are waiting for something to happen with them, even more so now that I've started dragging out stuff that was neatly packed away to see if I want to use it in my room update, so I have fabric scraps and old bean cans and ikea plant holders and old hanger clips and wall decals all over the place, and that isn't even the half of it.  It has all felt incredibly overwhelming and so I have been avoiding even trying to clean the place up. But tonight I witnessed the miracle of what 57 seconds and a pretty container can accomplish!



It's like magic!  As you can see I still have plenty of other piles to tackle, but I'm less intimidated now. :-) I've also decided what tomorrow's try needs to be. It involves spray paint!  Eeep! :-D 

Is there a piece or furniture that is bugging you? Try moving it and let me know how it goes!  Do you have a basket or a bucket or a pot or a planter that isn't in use? Try using it to camouflage that pile of whatever it is that is on the kitchen counter. :-)

See ya tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment